This slow cooked Jalfrezi needs around 2 hours prep and cooking time. But it is absolutely delicious and well worth the effort for a lovely Syn Free meal.
As I always say, the initial outlay to purchase the spices for this recipe can be expensive. But they can be used to create so many other meals.
3 Cardamom Pods
4 Whole Cloves
1 Bay Leaf
1 Teaspoon Mustard Powder
2 Onions, diced
4 Cloves Garlic, finely chopped (or 4 tsp crushed garlic)
500g Chicken Diced, skin removed
1 Tablespoons Grated Root Ginger
1 Teaspoon Ground Turmeric
1 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
5 Medium Tomatoes, chopped
1 Teaspoons Ground Coriander
1 Teaspoon Chilli Powder
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 Green Peppers, diced
1 Teaspoon Garam Masala
- Spritz a pan with Frylight and over a medium heat add Cardamom pods, Whole cloves, Bay leaf and Mustard powder.
- Dice the onions. Add the onion and garlic to the pan. Cook until softened.
- Add Turmeric, Cumin, Ginger, Salt and Pepper.
- Add the chicken to the pan and brown on all sides.
- Add diced Tomatoes, Coriander and Chilli powder.
- Cover the pan with lid and simmer on a medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Remove the lid and add the Green peppers. Simmer for a further 30 minutes. Adding a little water if the mixture is too dry.
- Taste the mixture and add extra chilli if needed. Season with Salt and Pepper. Add the Garam Masala. Cover and simmer for a further 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid and if the mixture is too watery allow to simmer on a higher heat without the lid until the sauce thickens.