What Are Free Foods?
Free foods are an essential part of the Slimming World plan. They should always make up the main bulk of your weekly plan. Free foods mean they do not hold a Syn value and we can eat unlimited amounts until we are full.
Most of your meals should be made up using Free foods first. Healthy filling free plates of food are what will help you to lose weight.
The rules to follow regarding Free Foods:
- Eat unlimited amounts until full at any time.
- No need to weigh or measure.
An example of a healthy evening meal using free foods
1 x Chicken Breast
4 Large New Potatoes
Half the plate full of fresh vegetables
This meal would be classed as “Syn Free”, however if you decided to add a sauce such as gravy you must check the Syn’s for this.
Why is there not a printable version of this list?
Because Slimming World changes so often, I like to keep everyone updated of any new products. Please check back regularly to ensure you are following the plan 100%.
LIST UPDATED: 1st January 2022
Dairy is an excellent source of calcium and perfect to create and add to meals. Try mixing Quark into cooked pasta or making a delicious mushroom omelette for a healthy filling lunch.
- Fat free natural fromage frais
- Fat free natural yogurt
- Fat free Greek style yogurt
- Fat free natural Greek yogurt
- Fat free natural Skyr
- Fat free natural cottage cheese
- Plain Quark
- Dairy free soya yogurt with added calcium (plain and unsweetened)
Free also includes drinks and it is really important to stay hydrated. Just remember to stick to low calorie drinks and if you add sugar to your hot drinks you must Syn this.
- Coffee, black, all varieties
- Cordial/squash, no added sugar, all varieties
- Low calorie/sugar free carbonated drinks, all varieties
- Slimline Mixers
- Mineral water, still/sparkling, plain
- Tap water
- Tea, black/green, all varieties
- Tea, herbal infusions, all varieties
Alcohol is pretty high in Syns. Check out my Alcohol Syn guide here.
Almost all fruit is Free and it is a perfect addition to any meal especially breakfast. Top your cereal with berries to keep you fuller for longer.
-Pureed, mashed, blended, smoothie fruit must always be Synned.
Some cooked or tinned fruit may class as a Healthy Extra B, click here to find out more.
Remember some fruits are also classed as a Speed Food. Click here to find out more.
- Carambola (Star Fruit)
- Custard Apples
- Dragon Fruit
- Kiwi Fruit
- Kiwi Berries
- Lemons (juice, zest)
- Limes (juice, zest)
- Passion Fruit
- Physalis (Cape Gooseberries)
- Rhubarb (raw)
- Sharon Fruit
- Ugli Fruit
Stick to very lean or trimmed cuts of meat to keep them free. Even bacon medallions may require some extra trimming. Always cook without additional fats and oils. Always remove skin from poultry and drain any mince after cooking.
Only mince with 5% fat or less is classed as free. Most Sausages and burgers contain a Syn value too.
- Bacon (back/very lean)
- Beef mince, lean, 5% fat or less
- Chicken (Skinless)
- Guniea Fowl
- Pork mince, lean, 5% fat or less
- Turkey mince, lean, 5% fat or less
PLANT BASED PROTEINS
- Quorn fillets, mince & pieces (unflavoured)
- Seitan fillets, steaks & pieces (plain and unsmoked)
- Textured vegetable protein/soya protein, pieces and mince (unflavoured)
- Tofu, naturally smoked & plain
These are only free if used as intended. If any products are ground to use as coating or flour they contain Syn values.
Microwave rice/noodle pouches will contain a Syn value.
- Bulgar wheat
- Couscous (standard and wholewheat)
- Dried and Fresh Pasta, all colours
- Dried and Fresh pasta, wholewheat/wholemeal
- Dried noodles, white/plain (unflavoured)
- Dried noodles, wholewheat/soda/buckwheat
- Pearl Barley
- Rice, White
- Rice, Brown/wholegrain/wild
- Cod Roe
- Herring Roe
- Seafood or Crab Sticks
- Mackerel (Unsmoked) fresh/canned in brine/tomato sauce
- Pilchards, canned in brine/tomato sauce
- Rollmop Herring
- Salmon, fresh/canned/smoked
- Sardines, canned in brine/tomato sauce
- Sardines, Fresh
- Trout, Fresh or Smoked
- Crab, Canned in brine or Fresh
- Cod, Plain or Smoked
- Dover Sole
- Haddock, Plain or Smoked
- John Dory
- Lemon Sole
- Red Snapper
- River Cobbler
- Sea Bass
- Tuna, canned in brine or spring water
- Tuna, Fresh
- Aduki Beans
- Baked Beans in tomato sauce, Canned
- Black Eye Beans
- Black Turtle Beans
- Borlotti Beans
- Broad Beans
- Butter Beans
- Cannellini Beans
- Flageolet beans
- Haricot beans
- Lentils, green/brown
- Lentils, red
- Mung Beans
- Peas, canned/fresh/frozen
- Peas, Marrowfat
- Peas, Mushy
- Peas, Petit Pois
- Peas, Processed
- Pinto Beans
- Red Kidney Beans
- Soya Beans (edamame beans)
- Split Peas
- Agar Agar
- Sugar free mint sauce
- Nam pla
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Fat free dressing, French/Italian/vinaigrette
- Herbs & Spices, Dry
- Low Calorie Cooking Spray (Frylight etc)
- Mustard Powder
- Oyster Sauce
- Ready to use stock, all varieties
- Salt & Pepper
- Soy Sauce
- Stock cubes & bouillon powder, all varieties
- Stock pots/melts/gels, all varieties
- Sweetener, drops & tablets
- Tomato puree (no added oil)
- Vinegar, all varieties
Fresh, frozen, canned or pickled… most vegetables are free.
- Alfalfa sprouts
- Amaranth leaves
- Baby sweetcorn
- Bamboo shoots
- Bean sprouts
- Bitter gourd (kerala)
- Brussels sprouts
- Butternut squash
- Chinese leaf
- Green beans
- Mixed Salad Leafs
- Pak choi
- Purple sprouting broccoli
- Runner beans
- Spring greens
- Spring onions
- Sugar snap peas
- Sweet potatoes
- Sweetcorn, On the cob
- Sweetcorn, Kernels
- Vine leaves
- Water chestnuts
ICELAND FOOD RANGE
Last but not least.. Iceland now stock an extensive range of Slimming World branded free foods. Check out their range here.