A comforting and simple cottage pie recipe, syn free, full of healthy speed foods and perfect for the Slimming World plan.
It’s cold, it’s dark and there is snow on the ground! You know what that means? It’s comfort food time Slimming World style!
One of my favourite meals as a child was cottage pie.. in fact anything with beef mince in it was. My grandmother would make the most amazing cottage pie and the smell still reminds me of her today.
WHY IS THIS THE BEST COTTAGE PIE RECIPE?
- Full of speed foods
- Tasty and very filling
- Perfect winter warmer
- Easy to make
- A cheap family favourite
IS THIS RECIPE SLIMMING WORLD FRIENDLY?
Oh yes, this recipe could not be anymore Slimming World friendly! It is full of free foods and speedy vegetables too. Healthy, filling and no need to weigh or measure your portions. Eat until full!
HOW TO STORE AND REHEAT THIS DISH:
- After cooling you can store this recipe in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Reheating in the microwave: Cook covered for 2 and a half minutes. Uncover and cook for a further 1 minute. Check it is piping hot before serving.
- After cooling you can store this recipe in an airtight contained in the freezer for up to 1 month. Please full defrost before reheating.
WINTER IS THE TIME FOR COMFORT FOOD..
FOR GOOD FOOD AND WARMTH.
- 500g Lean 5% Fat Beef Mince
- 1kg Floury Potatoes (Peeled and Diced)
- 1 Beef Stock Cube
- 2 tbsp Frozen Peas
- 2 tbsp Frozen Sweetcorn
- 1 Large Carrot (Peeled and Thinly Sliced)
- 1 Large Red Pepper (De seeded and diced)
- ½ Large Onion (Peeled and Finely diced)
- ¼ tsp Parsley
- ¼ tsp Oregano
- ¼ tsp Basil
- ¼ tsp Sage
- ¼ tsp Garlic Granules
- ½ tsp Marmite
- 2 tbsp Tomato Puree
- 1 tsp Mustard Powder
- 1 tbsp Quark (Or a splash of milk)
- Salt & Pepper
- 40g Reduced Fat Cheddar Cheese (Optional from your HE-A Allowance)
- Pre heat oven to 200c/180c Fan/Gas Mark 6.
- Wash diced potatoes, add to a pan of boiling water with a large pinch of salt and simmer until soft.
- Meanwhile, in a standard mug/cup add boiling water and 1 Beef stock cube.
- In a large pan, over a medium heat add boiling stock, peas, sweetcorn, carrot, onion and red pepper. Allow to simmer covered for 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add Parsley, Oregano, Basil, Sage, Garlic Granules, Tomato Puree, Marmite, Pinch of salt and Pepper. Allow to simmer uncovered for a further 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add beef mince and continue to simmer uncovered for 10 minutes, stirring often. Keep simmering until most of the liquid has reduced and the mixture is a thick gravy like consitancy.
- Line the bottom of a large oven proof dish with your mince mixture and set aside.
- Drain potatoes, add Quark, Mustard Powder and a season of Salt & Pepper. Mash potatoes until creamy and fluffy. Add extra Quark if required.
- If you choose to you can add 40g grated reduced fat cheddar from your healthy extra A allowance. Stir this in now.
- Cover the mince mixture with potato and fluff with a fork.
- Place into the oven for 35 – 40 minutes or until crispy and golden.
Have you created this recipe? Don’t forget to tag me, you may even be featured on the blog. I love to be social and see photos of creations!