Vegan Jackfruit Curry | Slimming World Friendly Recipe
This vegan jackfruit curry is entirely plant based, but don’t let that put you off. The jackfruit gives it a delicious ‘meaty’ texture which we can’t get enough of. This recipe uses a rogan josh style sauce, which means that it is tomato based, rich and mild. This recipe is perfect for anyone who is following the Slimming World plan, Weight Watchers or a calorie deficit.
This creamy jackfruit curry is a delightful dish that delivers texture and flavour without using heavy cream or Synned ingredients. Combining meaty jackfruit pieces with aromatic spices and tomato it makes a top vegan recipe which seems to impress the whole family. My kiddos who are super fussy even gave it a go and one was really impressed by it.
So what is jackfruit?
Jackfruit is an ancient fruit grown on trees in tropical climates. It’s native to south and southeast Asia where it is served regularly. While it’s relatively new on the scene in North America, jackfruit has been used for hundreds of years as both food and medicine. It’s believed to have antimicrobial and antifungal properties, as well as being rich in antioxidants.
Jackfruit has thick, bumpy skin and is filled with plump, stringy pods. When ripe, these pods have a sweet banana-like quality. However, when used for savory dishes, the fruit is typically underripe and a bit more firm, giving it a meatier texture.
Why you’ll love this recipe….
- So rich and full of flavour
- Perfect for vegans
- Syn Free when following the Slimming World plan
- Batch cook friendly
- Low in calories
- The whole family will love it
- Tasty meaty texture
- Cheap to throw together
- Store cupboard ingredients
- So delicious and spicy
Batch Cook – Storage Information
- Fridge: Store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- Reheat: Reheat in the microwave or on the hob.
- Freezer: Allow to cool before placing in a suitable containers. Keep for up to 6 months. Thaw before reheating.
What if I am not keen on jackfruit?
That’s fine, it’s not for everyone. To keep this recipe vegan friendly.. try swapping the jackfruit for 400g mushrooms or 400g sweet potato.
Vegan Jackfruit Curry
- 2 x 410g Tinned Jackfruit In Water [Drained]
- Low Calorie Cooking Spray
- 4 Garlic Cloves [Crushed]
- 2 White Onion [Peeled, Diced]
- ¼ tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- ½ tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 tbsp Paprika
- ¼ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Ground Coriander
- ¼ tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 3 tbsp Tomato Puree
- 500g Passata
- 100g Tinned White Pinto Beans [Drained, washed]
- 125ml Vegetable Stock
- Sauté the onion over a medium heat using a few sprays of low calorie cooking spray. Try not to burn them, keep them moving and use a little water if needed. Cook until softened.
- Add the garlic and a splash of water. Cook for a few minutes .
- Add the stock along with all of the spices. Mix together well before adding the tomato puree.
- Add the jackfruit and mix to make sure everything is covered nicely.
- Pour in the passata with a big pinch of salt. Stir, cover with a lid and simmer over a medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Remove the lid, stir in the white beans. Simmer without the lid for a further 15 minutes.