Spaghetti Bolognese | Slimming World Friendly Recipe
Try this Syn Free Spaghetti Bolognese a must have weeknight family favourite with rich delicious flavours. So quick and easy to make and loved by the whole family.This unofficial recipe is perfect for any one following Slimming World, Weight Watchers or a calorie controlled diet.
Spaghetti bolognese was one of the very first dishes I made when I started following the Slimming World plan. I remember serving it up with a slide of garlic bread and topped with grated cheese. Mr Fatgirlskinny turned to me and said “err this is hardly diet food, have we given up already?” Cheek!! I get it though… back then “Speed Food” wasn’t really a thing! So we have lashings of spaghetti topped with loads of bolognese. It didn’t really look like your average “diet” food! However we did lose weight so hey something must of been working back then?
This bolognese dish is really quick and easy to make. The best thing is it’s probably not a lot different to how you would usually make it. UNLESS you are a jar user… the one thing that can be hard to give up when joining Slimming World is using the dreaded jars! Yes they are so much easier (and sometimes cheaper) but they are full of hidden nasties (Syns). It’s time to start making everything from scratch and I can guarantee the family will love this one.
WHY IS THIS THE BEST SLIMMING WORLD SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE?
- Full of flavour
- So easy to make
- Syn free
- Suitable for freezing
- The whole family will love it
IS THIS DISH SUITABLE FOR BATCH COOKING?
Absolutely… The bolognese can be kept in the fridge for up to 3 days or frozen for 1 month.
Defrost before reheating in the microwave or over the hob. Remember to always cook pasta fresh.
Syn Free Spaghetti Bolognese
- 500g Lean 5% Fat Beef Mince
- 400g Can Chopped Tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Tomato Puree
- ½ Small Carrot [Grated]
- 1 Medium Onion [Peeled, Diced]
- 1 Red Pepper [Deseeded, Finely Sliced]
- 2 Large Mushrooms [Finely sliced]
- 2 Cloves Garlic [Crushed]
- 1 Beef Stock Cube
- ½ tsp Dried Oregano
- ½ tsp Dried Basil
- Pinch Black Pepper
- Pinch Salt
- Dried Spaghetti [Approx 50g Dried weight per person]
- Cook Spaghetti according to packet instructions.
- Meanwhile make up beef stock with 1 stock cube and 200ml boiling water.
- Add stock to a pan with onion, mushrooms, grated carrot, red pepper and garlic. Allow to simmer until most of the liquid has absorbed and everything is softened.
- Over a medium heat add mince and cook until browned.
- Add chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, Oregano, Basil, Pepper and Salt. Cover and allow to simmer for 10 minutes. Stir often.
- Remove lid and simmer, stirring often until most of the liquid has evaporated and you are left with a thick rich spaghetti bolognese.
- Serve over pasta.
Have you created this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out! Leave a comment below or share a photo on Instagram tagging me at @fatgirlskinny__ and the hashtag #fatgirlskinny.
I’m reading and hearing so much about slimming world. I live in Australia and would like to try this. Can you help me get started or point me in right direction thanks