As most of you know I am a huge fan of rice recipes.. I love paella, dirty rice and risotto. I find them quick and easy to make and simply filling. They are also a great way of getting some speedy vegetables into your diet.
This recipe is really versatile, lots of other things that could be thrown into this recipe.. peas, sweetcorn, more peppers, mushrooms, carrots.. pretty much any vegetable you fancy.
Servings: 2 – 3
- 1 Onion Chopped and Peeled
- 1 Small Courgette Chopped and Peeled
- 1 Red Pepper Chopped Finely
- 180g Easy Cook or Arborio Rice
- 1 Pint of Boiling Vegetable Stock made with 2 Vegetable Stock Cubes
- Pinch of Salt & Pepper
- 1/2 Tsp Crushed Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Dried Thyme
- Spritz a pan with a little Frylight and add onion, pepper and courgette. Cook on a medium heat for around 8 minutes or until softened.
- Add the Thyme, Garlic, Salt and Pepper and continue to cook for a further 2 minutes. Add a splash of water if anything seems to be sticking.
- Add the stock and bring to a simmer, cover with a lid and leave for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile wash the rice in warm water to remove all of the starch.
- Add the rice to the pan, mix well and cover with a lid. Allow to simmer on a medium heat for around 1 hour or until the liquid has reduced and the rice is cooked. Remove the lid half way through.
- If after 1 hour the liquid has not reduced, turn up the heat and allow the mixture to boil gently, stirring constantly until all liquid has disappeared and you are left with a delicious Risotto.