Rustic Bacon Mac and Cheese | Slimming World Friendly Recipe
This creamy, cheesy, Syn free rustic Mac and Cheese will outshine any Mac and Cheese you have tried before. With added bacon pieces it adds to the flavour and it is very simple to create. This unofficial recipe is perfect for any one following Slimming World, Weight Watchers or a calorie controlled diet.
Mr Fatgirlskinny was not happy this morning when I told him he couldn’t have his usual cereal with milk because I wanted him to save both of his Healthy extra A allowances for this amazing Mac and Cheese. BUT all was forgiven when he tasted it!
Why you’ll love this recipe….
- So cheesy and creamy
- Crispy on the top
- Low in fat and a healthier option
- Perfect for batch cooking
- The whole family will love it
Is this recipe Slimming World friendly?
This recipe is completely Syn free as long as you are using both of your daily Healthy Extra allowances. The whole dish is worth 4 HEA and we recommend 2 servings.
Mac and Cheese is the ultimate comfort food but it doesn’t have to be served alone. I threw a salad with mine but this could be served in smaller baking dishes along side a delicious steak (American styley). It can also be frozen and reheated so don’t be put off by the quantities.
Batch Cook – Storage Information
- Fridge: Store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Reheat: Reheat in the microwave or in the oven.
- Freezer: Allow to cool before placing in a suitable containers. Keep for up to 3 months. Thaw before reheating.
If you like this recipe you are sure to like these too……
YOU ARE THE MAC TO MY CHEESE….
Rustic Bacon Mac & Cheese
- 250 g Dried Macaroni Pasta
- 1 Chicken Stock Cube
- 4 Bacon Medallions (Roughly Chopped)
- 250g Quark (Or Cottage Cheese Blended)
- 2 Medium Eggs
- ¼ tsp Mustard Powder
- 160g Reduced Fat Cheddar Cheese (Grated)
- Large Pinch Of Salt
- Season Of Black Pepper
- Pre Heat Oven 220c, 200c fan or Gas Mark 7.
- Weigh pasta and cook as per the instructions and 1 Chicken stock cube.
- Spritz a pan with a little Frylight and cook the chopped bacon for a few minutes and then set aside.
- In a small bowl or jug add Quark, Mustard Powder, Salt and Black Pepper. Mix together thoroughly.
- Add one egg at a time and whisk well.
- Add 80% Of the grated cheese and fold this into the mixture.
- Drain the pasta but place back into the saucepan (with no heat). Add the bacon and cheesy mixture. Mix until all of the pasta is covered.
- Place the mixture into a baking dish, cover with the remaining grated cheese and pop into the oven for 15 minutes. Serve and enjoy 🙂
Have you created this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out! Leave a comment below or share a photo on Instagram tagging me at @fatgirlskinny__ and the hashtag #fatgirlskinny.
Oh my good god! This looks amazing ????
It really is… I still have a full belly from devouring half lol 🙂 x
I’ve been looking for a skinny version of mac and cheese so thank you for this! When I used to make the full fat version I used to add bacon, onions and tomatoes and it was yummy. I know what we’re having for dinner tomorrow. Keep the recipes coming. I love them!
Thank you 🙂 I think I will add some onion and pepper next time to change things up a bit x
Thanks for having a substitute for quark it isn’t always available in Australia
Tried this today and I was really surprised how delicious it was. I have a bit left over so i’m going to re-heat it for lunch tomorrow! Yummy.
Amazing isn’t it 🙂 I am so glad you enjoyed it x
Going to do this for dinner later, it looks delicious ?
Wanted to attempt this later but I don’t have mustard powder 🙁
Soooooo nice, I’m new to slimming world, so glad I found your site, recipes are fab
Love all your recipes so spoilt for choice
Thank you 🙂 Enjoy working your way through them x
Made this tonight it was amazing!! I added onion and mushroom to the bacon,and as I didn’t have mustard powder, I stirred in one teaspoon of wholegrain mustard. Will definitely be making again. The hubby enjoyed it too ?
What can you use if you can’t eat quark or cottage cheese please?
You would probably have to follow a traditional recipe using milk and syn this 🙂
sorry I can’t be of any more help
This was really good! I’ve just finished eating and for an SW essentially free meal, you’ve hit the nail on the head. Adding the bacon was great as it really helped it along and.. It is so filling. I thought I’d polish off at least 2 servings, but no, one serve was more than enough, really! I just want to say thank you, it feels really good to know I can have a Macaroni Cheese and it be SW friendly. Thanks again! 🙂
I am glad you enjoyed it 🙂 x
Cut this for the second time yesterday added a bit of the pasta water this time to loosen it slightly was delicious going to add onion next time!