This creamy, cheesy, Syn free rustic Mac and Cheese will outshine any Mac and Cheese you have tried before. With added bacon pieces it adds to the flavour and it is very simple to create.
Mr Fatgirlskinny was not happy this morning when I told him he couldn’t have his usually cereal with milk because I wanted him to save both of his Healthy extra A allowances for this amazing Mac and Cheese. BUT all was forgiven when he tasted it!
This recipe is completely Syn free as long as you are using your Healthy Extra allowances. It is easy to make and you don’t need anything special to create it other than a good baking dish, saucepan and a frying pan.
Mac and Cheese is the ultimate comfort food but it doesn’t have to be served alone. I threw a salad with mine but this could be served in smaller baking dishes along side a delicious steak (American styley). It can also be frozen and reheated so don’t be put off by the quantities.
SYNS: ZERO (Using healthy extra A)
250g Dried Macaroni Pasta
1 Chicken Stock Cube
4 Bacon Medallions, Roughly Chopped
200g Quark (Or Cottage Cheese Blended)
2 Medium Eggs
1 Teaspoon Mustard Powder
160g Reduced Fat Cheddar Cheese, Grated (80g is your 2 HEA allowances for the day)
Large Pinch Of Salt
Season Of Black Pepper
- Pre Heat Oven 220c, 200c fan or Gas Mark 7.
- Weigh pasta and add to a pan of boiling water with your chicken stock cube until cooked through.
- Spritz a pan with a little Frylight and cook the chopped bacon for a few minutes and then set aside.
- In a small bowl or jug add Quark, Mustard Powder, Salt and Black Pepper. Mix together thoroughly.
- Add one egg at a time and whisk well.
- Add 80% Of the grated cheese and fold this into the mixture.
- Drain the pasta but place back into the saucepan (with no heat). Add the bacon and cheesy mixture. Mix until all of the pasta is covered.
- Place the mixture into a baking dish, cover with the remaining grated cheese and pop into the oven for 15 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy 🙂