Smoky Summer Potato Salad | Slimming World Friendly Recipe
This beautiful smoked potato salad is a must try and easy to make. This is so good and perfect for summertime parties, BBQs or just for the lunch box. This recipe is a winner for anyone following the Slimming World plan or a calorie controlled diet.
SPRING HAS SPRUNG! It is Cornish New potato time.. and I was lucky enough to be sent a bag to sample. A freshly dug bag of potatoes arrived on my doorstep and I have not been so happy in a long time. (I know simple things) But how often do we get a bag of delicious potatoes still covered in dirt?
Did you know that a lot of the potatoes available in the supermarket are not even grown in this country? Grown in the rich fertile soil of Cornwall these new potatoes have a mild, sweet taste and a delicate fluffy skin.
They are seasonal and only available in Tesco stores between June – August and they are a dream to work with. As the weather heats up and the potatoes reach the right size the Cornish New Potato becomes more readily available in stores.
There is no need to peel these potatoes, just a quick wash under the tap. The skin is so soft it can be left on whilst creating any recipe. The potatoes are excellent for boiling, frying, mashing or roasting.
For more information about the Cornish New Potato please visit here.
I was asked to create two unique recipes using the Cornish New potato. I had great fun experimenting and creating the perfect Slimming World friendly recipes for you all. So here we have the beautiful Smoky Potato Salad and coming soon Vegetarian Breakfast Potatoes.
Smoky Summer Potato Salad
- 800 grams Cornish New potatoes (Halved)
- 1/2 Red Onion (Peeled and finely diced)
- 4 Smoked Bacon Medallions (Roughly Chopped)
- 200 grams Fat Free Natural Yoghurt
- 50 grams Fat Free Cottage Cheese
- Salt & Pepper
- 1/4 Teaspoon Garlic Granules
- 1/2 Teaspoon Mustard Powder
- 3 Leaves of Spinach (Finely Chopped)
- Sprinkle Dried Parsley
- Place the halved new potatoes into a pan of salted water and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 5 – 8 minutes. You want to be able to push a fork into them but do not want them to fall apart.
- Drain the potatoes and leave to completely cool in cold water.
- Add fat free natural yogurt, cottage cheese, salt and pepper, crushed garlic, mustard powder and the parsley into a bowl. Using an electric whisk mix until light and creamy.
- Spritz a pan with low fat cooking spray, bring to a high heat and cook the diced bacon until crispy.
- Add the bacon, spinach and onion to the cooled potatoes and mix in the creamy sauce.
- Place into the fridge for 2 – 3 hours before serving with your delicious summer BBQ.
Have you created this recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out! Leave a comment below or share a photo on Instagram tagging me at @fatgirlskinny__ and @seasonalspuds also the hashtag #fatgirlskinny.