I have recently become a tiny bit lazy with my “from scratch” cooking.. I have been buying a lot of SW ready meals or throwing together quick and easy meals. But tonight this needed to change so I worked hard on this amazing Chicken Jambalaya recipe.
Jambalaya is one of the easiest and best rice dishes which adds a little cajun spice. This traditional American recipe is a pretty impressive way to show off Syn free cooking to friends and family.
If you fancy spicing things up a bit feel free to swap Slimming World sausages for chorizo but remember to Syn these.
1 Medium Red Onion
400g Skinless Boneless Chicken Thigh Fillets
4 Slimming World Sausages
1 Red Pepper
1 Yellow Pepper
2 Tsp Dried Thyme
1 Tbsp Cajun Seasoning
Zest And Juice Of 1 Lemon
400g Chopped Tomatoes
220g White Rice (Long grain or basmati)
450ml Chicken Stock
Salt & Pepper
- Finely dice onion, dice chicken, and chop peppers into large chunks.
- Spritz a pan with a little Frylight and add the sausages. Cook on a medium heat turning often until you are able to slice into small chunks.
- Add the diced chicken and onion to the pan. Cook on a medium heat until slightly browned.
- Add peppers, Thyme, lemon zest, Cajun seasoning and chopped tomatoes. Cover with a lid, and simmer slowly for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile make chicken stock and add this to the pan along with the rice. Cover with lid and simmer on a medium heat for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Remove the lid and simmer for a further 5 – 10 minutes or until the rice is softened and all of the liquid is reduced. Simmer for longer to reduce any liquid.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the lemon juice and a seasoning of salt and pepper.
- Serve and enjoy.