Baked Onion Rings | Slimming World Friendly Recipe
Ditch the deep fryer in favor of this quick and easy recipe for Crispy Baked Onion Rings. Syn free, delicious and perfect for the Slimming World follower.
Homemade onion rings don’t have to be unhealthy – this version coats the onion rings in Smash and spices to give them a healthy coating and a kick of flavour.
I absolutely LOVE onion rings and so does Mrfatgirlskinny. It’s one of those things that if I see them on a menu, I almost always give in to temptation to order a side!
Is this recipe classed as a tweak on the Slimming World plan?
Firstly, what is a tweak? A tweak is when you use a particular Syn free food in a way it is not meant to be consumed. I.E here we are using Smash as a coating rather than cooking it to eat fully expanded.
Here is my own personal opinion as a Slimming World veteran…
I would not tweak this recipe, back in 2015 tweaks did not exist in the SW community either.
Eating this recipe now and then as never affected my weight loss but this is your journey so I will leave the decision to you.
Why you’ll love this recipe….
- Low in fat
- Easy to make
- Perfect as a side dish
- Syn free if you forget the tweak!
Batch Cook – Storage Information
- Fridge: These onion rings are best eaten after baking.
- Reheat: These onion rings are best eaten after baking.
- Freezer: Not suitable for freezing.
Syn Free Baked Onion Rings
- 1 Large Onion (Sliced into hoops)
- 30g Dried Smash Powder
- 1 Large Egg (beaten)
- ¼ tsp Paprika
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Frylight or Low calorie cooking spray
- Pre heat oven to 200c/180c Fan/ Gas mark 6.
- Spritz a frying pan with a little Frylight and cook the onion over a medium heat for a few minutes.
- Beat egg in a bowl and stir in Paprika, Salt and Pepper.
- Add smash to a plate or low sided dish.
- Coat each hoop in egg before coating in smash.
- Place each hoop on a baking tray greased with Frylight or greaseproof paper.
- Coat each hoop in a good helping of Frylight before placing in the oven for 20 – 25 minutes, turning half way.Or 15 minutes in the air fryer.