SLIMMING WORLD FRIENDLY STORE CUPBOARD ESSENTIALS
Mainly Syn free store cupboard essentials that every Slimming World follower needs in their kitchen. If you are new to the plan, you will find this unofficial list helpful when compiling your first shopping list
New to Slimming World or need a refresher? Creating your first shopping list? Or you just don’t know where to start? Scan through my unofficial store cupboard essentials for creating healthy, filling meals full of flavour without adding Syns. Don’t be caught out, make sure you are well stocked up to stay on plan and not stray before you have even started.
STORE CUPBOARD ESSENTIALS
List updated January 2022
- Low Calorie Cooking Spray – There are many examples on the market now. But my go to is still Frylight. A few squirts is Syn free and it is essential for cooking eggs, chips and roasted vegetables.
- Soy Sauce – Perfect for creating those Chinese fakeaways, marinating chicken and adding some Syn free flavour to fish dishes.
- Salt and Pepper – This one may seem obvious but they are perfect for adding flavour to any dish.
- Stock Cubes, Stock Pots, Liquid Stock etc – All Syn free and perfect for creating Syn free gravy and adding flavour to dishes like chilli, bolognese etc.
- Sweetener – This used to be Syn free but now if you are using a lot of sweetener you must allow 1/2 a Syn per tablespoon. What is classed as a lot? More than 2 tablespoons I would say. However tablet sweeteners are free and perfect for hot drinks.
- Tomato Puree (Without oil) – I couldn’t live without this one. It is perfect for adding to Italian dishes, curries, soups, Mexican dishes… well to be honest the list is almost endless.
- Pickled Onions – Many years ago these would only be purchased at Christmas in this house. But now they are an essential in the kitchen. I love to snack on them, add them to salads etc. All Syn free and so good for snacking.
- Fat Free Dressings – Syn free if they are 50 calories or less per 100ml. My favourite is Hellmans fat free dressing.
- Very Lazy Garlic – Not only because I am lazy but also because I don’t use garlic everyday and these jars last for 6 weeks in the fridge. I am forever throwing fresh garlic cloves out so it saves money In the long term. Available in most supermarkets.
- Mustard Powder – You will see this in many of my recipes. Mustard is not Syn free but mustard powder is. Perfect for adding a little kick to any recipe.
- Oyster Sauce – Really good for adding flavour to Chinese dishes and marinating chicken and fish. Syn free and available in most supermarkets.
- Eggs – The best Syn free ingredient. I wonder how I would cope without eggs.. I eat them almost everyday. Scrambled, fried, boiled, omelettes.. perfect for snacks, lunch, meals.
- Baked Beans in Tomato Sauce – Still Syn free and very filing. Perfect over a baked potato for lunch. Although all version of baked beans are Syn free I do tend to choose the reduced sugar versions such as these from Tesco. There is 30 calories less in half a tin of the reduced sugar version and less fat too.
- Mushy Peas – I often cannot believe these are Syn free when I am eating them.. but they really are! Perfect with my baked fish & chips recipe.
- Chopped Tomatoes – An absolute Syn free essential when creating curries, bolognese, chilli etc.
- Herbs and Spices – Almost all dried herbs and spices are Syn free. Some of my essential favourites are Paprika, Smoked Paprika, Mixed dried herbs, Rosemary, Chilli powder, Oregano and Cayenne Pepper.
- Tinned Kidney Beans – Perfect for throwing into a chilli or with a mixed salad.
- Tinned Chickpeas – Essential for creating soups, curry or just chucking into a salad.
- Tinned Sweetcorn – Such a versatile product. I love mixing with tuna and extra light mayo for a baked potato topping or mixing into a salad with dressing.
- Tinned Fish – Tuna in brine or spring water is my absolute favourite Syn free lunch In a pitta bread or on a baked potato. Also salmon, sardines and pilchards in brine, spring water or tomato sauce are Syn free too.
- Dried Pasta and Rice – I always buy in bulk because I eat pasta and rice 3 or 4 times per week. Remember fresh pasta or micro rice contain Syns.
- Sugar Free Squash – Perfect for helping you drink plenty of liquid, not everyone likes unflavoured water.
- Plain Dried Noodles – Delicious and so filling. Throw together a Syn free chow mein with beansprouts, grated carrot, noodles and soy sauce.
- Marmite and Bovril – Both Syn free and excellent for flavouring dishes such as Bolognese.
- Vinegar – How could we cope without this? Chips would never be the same!
- Worcestershire Sauce – Syn free and perfect for adding to many dishes like bolognese.
- Couscous (Plain) – Perfect for adding to a salad. Just remember it is only Syn free if you are eating it as intended. If you are using as a coating or grounding to make flour you must allow 4.5 Syns per 25g.
- Tea/Coffee – Black is Syn free but if you are adding milk remember to take from your Healthy Extra A allowance. Tea and coffee are a great way to suppress hunger and keep you warm in the winter.
I would love to hear your thoughts on store cupboard essentials… add your tips below and they could make the list.