One of my favourite meals is a Risotto… but the majority of recipes I could find are made with wine.. so I had to get my Slimming World head on and create you lovely followers a Syn free version.
The best thing about this recipe is its a fantastic way to use up some of your roast chicken leftovers.. if you are cooking a roast today why not save some of the chicken for tomorrow and put this beautiful recipe together.
I have served mine over a bed of Spinach but it would also go perfectly with a crisp salad or a cheeky slice of garlic bread. Watch out though because this one is Garlicky… Mr Fatgirlskinny was not impressed with me that day haha 🙂
Servings: 2 – 3
(Remember to click the links in Pink, they will take you to the appropriate product on Tesco)
2 Chicken Breasts,diced (Or Leftovers from a Roast Chicken)
8 Fine Asparagus Spears cut into 2cm sections.
250g Risotto Rice
2 Garlic Cloves, Crushed
2 Shallots, Finely Diced
1/4 Tsp Mixed Dried Herbs
1 Litre of Chicken Stock
40g Parmesan Cheese, Grated (Use Healthy Extra A allowance)
Salt & Pepper
- Spritz a large pan with a little Frylight and place on a medium heat.
- Add the diced Shallots and sliced Asparagus Spears into the pan and cook for 5 – 6 minutes.
- If you are using raw chicken breasts add this into the pan now and cook through.
- Add the Garlic to the pan and allow to cook for a further few minutes whilst you make the Chicken Stock.
- If you are using left over chicken instead add this now.
- Add the rice and 2 TBSP of the stock, stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Add approx. a ladle full of Chicken stock and allow to simmer until all of the stock has been absorbed stirring often.
- Add approx. another ladle full of Chicken stock and repeat the process.
- Risotto is a personal taste and there is no real science to it.. so keep adding ladle fulls of Chicken stock and allowing to absorb until you are happy with the taste and texture. You should be left with a creamy non gritty texture.
- Add Salt & Pepper to season and the grated cheese. Stir and cook for a few minutes.
- Serve with a delicious salad or on a bed of Spinach.
This could also be made in to an excellent Vegetarian Risotto by replacing the chicken with Quorn pieces or Mushrooms. You could also use Vegetable stock if required.