Crispy couscous covered chicken which is the closest to a real KFC as you can get without deep frying. The whole family will love this recipe without using lot’s of Syns. This unofficial recipe is perfect for any one following Slimming World, Weight Watchers or a calorie controlled diet.
Looking back to 2015 when I first joined Slimming World I remember my words to MrFatgirlskinny exactly. “If we weren’t eating healthily what would you have right now?” he replied “KFC”! Well the challenge was on… I set about finding a way to create a healthy version of the popular takeaway brand.
I consulted many other recipes and discovered there are a lot of different ways to create a KFC Fakeaway. But after much trial and error it turns out couscous is our favourite and we would love to share it with you.
So what is a Fakeaway? It’s a play on the word “Takeaway” meaning to create a naughty meal similar to your usual takeaway dish but finding a inventive ingredients to create it in a more healthy way.
IS THIS RECIPE A TWEAK?
Firstly, what is a tweak? A tweak is when you use a particular Syn free food in a way it is not meant to be consumed. I.E here we are using couscous as a coating rather than cooking it to eat fully expanded.
25g Couscous used as coating or flour should be classed as 4.5 Syns.
Here is my own personal opinion as a Slimming World veteran…
I would not tweak this recipe, back in 2015 tweaks did not exist in the SW community either.
Here is why I do not believe this particular recipe deserves to be Synned… The couscous is still being used in it’s usual manner. We are using boiling water to expand and then coat the chicken. I do not believe I would consume any less couscous than if I was making the couscous and serving it next to chicken. However if I was coating the chicken with couscous in a dry manner I would definitely tweak this recipe.
Eating this recipe once or a twice a month as never affected my weight loss but this is your journey so I will leave the decision to you.
WHY IS THIS THE BEST KFC FAKEAWAY?
- Low in fat
- Great for all of the family
- Tasty cold snack the next day
- Easy to make
IS THE RECIPE SUITABLE FOR FREEZING/REHEATING?
To freeze: Allow to cool, place into a freezer bag and store for up to one month. Defrost thoroughly before reheating in the oven for 10 – 15 minutes on 180c.
Storing in the fridge: Allow to cool, place into an airtight container and store for upto 3 days. Eat cold or reheat in the oven for 10-15 minutes on 180c.
THE PERFECT SIDES
Before creating this recipe you definitely need something to serve with it.. try out some of these recipes:
KFC Style Chicken Fakeaway
- 400g Skinless Chicken Breast (or 2 Large Breasts)
- 2 Medium Eggs (Beaten)
- 100g Plain Cous cous
- ½ tsp Mustard Powder
- 2 tsp Paprika
- ½ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- ¼ tsp Cumin
- ½ tsp Basil
- ½ tsp Garlic Granules
- ¼ tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 Chicken Stock Cube (Crumbled)
- Season of Salt & Pepper
- Low fat cooking spray such as Frylight
- Boiling Water
- In a small bowl add Cous cous, mustard powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, cumin, basil, garlic, smoked paprika, crumbled stock cube, salt and pepper.
- Pour boiling water into the bowl until it literally just covers the couscous (no more). Stir everything together. Allow to stand for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Pre heat the oven to 220c/200c/gas mark 7.
- You are looking for a dry fluffy couscous.. if you feel the couscous can expand some more feel free to add a little bit more water.
- Add half of the beaten egg and stir in, you are looking for a gooey sticky mixture, not too runny. If it already feels too runny do not add the remainder of the egg.
- Spray a baking tray with frylight to prevent sticking. (or use brown grease proof paper)
- Coating the chicken is not always the easiest.. it will not stick perfectly.. try to cover the chicken as much as possible.. then feel free to put the chicken onto the baking tray and add more couscous on the top. There is no real perfection to this recipe its trial and error to get it right for you.
- After all of the chicken is coated, spritz with Frylight and place into the oven for 25 – 30 minutes or until golden and the chicken is cooked through.