My husband and I would have regular KFC takeaways and honestly we were missing them so I tried this ultimate KFC “Fakeaway” and it’s all completely delicious!
(serves 2 )
(I have now been told this is a “tweak” but i still consider this to be syn free in my opinion because couscous is syn free and i am eating the same amount as i usually would, i will let you choose)
If you are going to count this as a tweak I would allow approx 5 Syns per serving.
- 400g of boneless skinless chicken thighs or 2 large chicken breasts or turkey steak cut into large slices.
- 2 small eggs beaten
- 120g of plain cous cous
- 1 tsp of Mustard powder (optional)
- 2 heaped tsp Paprika
- 1/2 level tsp Cayenne Pepper (add more for extra spice)
- A tiny pinch of Cumin (optional)
- 1/2 tsp basil (optional)
- 1 Chicken stock cube crumbled
- 1 Clove of garlic (or 1 tsp garlic powder)
- 1/2 tsp pinch of salt and pinch of black pepper
- Frylight spray
- Add Couscous, Mustard powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, cumin, crumbled stock cube, clove of garlic, salt and pepper to a bowl and pour in boiling water until it literally just covers the couscous (no more). Stir everything together. Allow to stand for 5 to 10 minutes. You are looking for a dry fluffy couscous.. if you feel the couscous can expand some more feel free to add a little bit more water.
- Add half of the beaten eggs and stir in, you are looking for a gooey runny mixture. If this is really too runny at this point do not add the rest of the egg… if you feel it can be more runny please do add the rest.
- Spray a baking tray with frylight to prevent sticking. (or use brown grease proof paper)
- Coating the chicken is not always the easiest.. it will not stick perfectly.. get it covered as much as possible.. then feel free to put the chicken onto the baking tray and add more couscous on the top. There is no real perfection to this recipe its trial and error to get it right for you.
- Coat the chicken in the mixture, place on baking tray and baked in the oven at 210°c for 25 to 30 minutes.
(1 syn per serving, serves 2):
- Red or white cabbage
- 1 Carrot
- 1/4 of an onion
- 1/2 tsp of garlic powder or garlic puree
- 1/4 tsp of mustard powder
- Pinch of salt and black pepper
- 2 Tbsp of lighter than light hellmans mayonnaise (2 syns)
- Grate carrot and finely chop a small amount of cabbage and the onion and place into a bowl.
- Mix with the mayonnaise and then add garlic, mustard powder, salt and pepper.
- Store in the fridge for a few hours before consuming as it allows the spices to marinate a little.
For wedges: (Syn free on extra easy)
- Cut potatoes into a wedge shape and boil for around 5 minutes.
- Drain and place onto a baking tray.
- Coat with frylight, paprika, salt and black pepper and back for 25 minutes at 180°c.
Serve with corn on the cob and baked beans for a perfect KFC style fakeaway 🙂 I tend to use the frozen bags of corn on the cobs which are about £1 in Tesco. They are much cheaper and cook in the microwave in about 5 minutes.
Absolutely delicious and one of our new favourite dishes. Enjoy.
Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram if you create my recipes 😉 @fatgirlskinny_sw
Do you shop online? I always do my Shopping with either Sainsbury’s Or Tesco’s. I shop online to save money.. because it stop’s me from buying things I don’t want or need. When I do my shopping I always use Topcashback.co.uk to claim cashback on every shop I do. I highly recommend signing up today.
When I cook I always substitute oil with Frylight 1 Cal Spray. This spray is Syn free and it’s a HUGE healthy alternative to oil. I find the cheapest place to purchase this from is Home Bargains as its always on offer at around £1.45. But often it’s on offer in Iceland and other Supermarkets.