Pilau rice is the perfect accompaniment to any curry. This delicious tasty vegetable pilau rice with a spicy kick is quick and easy to make with minimal effort. This unofficial recipe is perfect for any one following Slimming World, Weight Watchers or a calorie controlled diet.
I love tasty aromatic spicy pilau rice from the Indian takeaway. Sadly it is high in calories/syns and cooked with butter, so I didn’t think I could match the taste Slimming friendly style. However I believe I have created a tasty fakeaway alternative to have alongside the curry of your choice.
This recipe is very quick and easy to make with very minimal effort. But you need something to pair it with.. Try one of my amazing Indian dishes.
To develop the perfect healthy pilau rice recipe I searched the internet for inspiration and ideas. But what I found was there are about a million interpretations of pilau rice! So I experimented with different elements and ideas. I’m really pleased with the final result, I believe it definitely tastes like pilau rice, delicate and aromatic just how it should be.
One of the things I love about the recipe is the amount of speedy vegetables. It would also work well with mushrooms, green pepper, broccoli etc. Feel free to play around with the recipe to suit your taste.
Spicy Vegetable Pilau Rice
- 300 g Long Grain Rice (Washed and Drained)
- 600 ml Boiling Vegetable Stock (Made with 2 stock cubes)
- 1 Medium Carrot (Peeled and cut in chunks)
- 1 Red Pepper (Diced)
- 5 tbsp Frozen Peas
- 1 Small Onion (Cut in chunks)
- 3 tsp Ground Turmeric
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 2 Garlic Cloves (Crushed)
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Mild Chilli Powder
- Pinch Of Salt
- Spritz a large pan with Frylight and add Garlic, Peas, Onion, Red Pepper and Carrot. Cook until starting to soften.
- Add boiling water, Turmeric, Cumin, Paprika, Chilli Powder and Salt. Stir well, cover with a lid and bring to simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add washed rice to the pan and stir well. Cover with a lid and simmer, stirring frequently for 20 – 25 minutes. Remove the lid half way through.
- Cook until all of the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is cooked. If the liquid runs dry before the rice is cooked just add a little more boiling water.