Sweet Potato and Chickpea curry… this healthy vegan Slimming friendly curry is quick and easy to make, tastes delicious and makes for a very hearty meat-free meal. This unofficial recipe is perfect for any one following Slimming World, Weight Watchers or a calorie controlled diet.
This mid week curry is the perfect way to use up some of your cupboard leftovers. It is also pretty quick and easy to make, which is always a plus when it comes to a weekday dinner; and it is very healthy, filling and delicious too.
As a rich source of vitamins, minerals and fibre, chickpea offer a variety of health benefits, such as improving digestion and aiding weight loss. Additionally, chickpeas are high in protein and make an excellent replacement for meat in vegetarian and vegan diets.
WHY IS THIS THE BEST SWEET POTATO AND CHICKPEA CURRY?
- Quick and easy
- Full of protein
- Syn free*
- Low in fat
- Perfect for the whole family
- Vegan and Vegetarian
IS THIS RECIPE SUITABLE FOR REHEATING?
Absolutely… this dish makes the perfect leftovers meal! It will keep in the fridge for several days and can be reheated for a quick lunch or easy dinner. I would not however recommend freezing this dish.
MORE HEALTHY VEGAN RECIPES:
Sweet Potato and Chickpea Curry
- 800g Tinned Chickpeas (Drained)
- 2 Large Sweet Potatoes (Peeled and diced)
- 300 – 600ml Cold Water
- 1 Onion (Peeled and diced)
- 3 Cloves Garlic (Crushed)
- 1 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 tsp Mild Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 2 tsp Garam Masala
- 2 tbsp Tomato Puree
- 400g Chopped Tomatoes
- Spritz a pan with Frylight and add onion and garlic. Sauté for a few minutes.
- Add 150ml water to the pan, cover with a lid and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add Ginger, Chilli powder, Cumin, Paprika, Garam Masala and Tomato Puree and a pinch of salt. Re cover and continue to simmer for a few minutes.
- Add the 200ml of water and chopped tomatoes and sweet potato. Re cover and simmer for 15 minutes. If the liquid starts to dry add more water if needed.
- Add Chickpeas, re cover and simmer for a further 10 minutes until the sweet potato is tender. Again add water if necesary.
- If you find there is still too much liquid, remove the lid and cook on a higher heat until reduced.
- Serve and enjoy.