Homemade Tomato Ketchup Sauce | Slimming World Friendly Recipe
Homemade ketchup is a must make. It’s so simple, flavourful and easy to spice up or change up based on what you love. Beautiful colours, tasty, homemade, less sugar and Syn free when following the Slimming World plan.
One of the reasons Tomato Ketchup has to be synned is because of the super high sugar content. A 500g bottle of standard tomato ketchup can contain around 100g of sugar. Whereas a 500g carton of passata contains around 22g of sugar. This of course can still be considered as high but as you can see this is a huge reduction in sugar content and as most of you will know I am a strong believe in “sugar makes you fat”.
Why you’ll love this recipe….
- Quick and easy to make
- No added sugar
- Syn free on the Slimming World plan
- Low in calories
- Guilt free
- Kids will love it too
- Family friendly
Batch Cook – Storage Information
- Fridge: Store the sauce in a suitable container such as a glass bottle. This will keep 1 – 2 weeks in the fridge. Shake before use.
- Freezer: This can even be frozen. Allow to cool and store batches in heavy duty freezer bags. Thaw completely and then pour into a bottle to store in the fridge.
Is this recipe Slimming World friendly?
Yes absolutely, I would class this recipe as Syn free.
The number 1 question is, should we be synning the granulated sweetener?
In my opinion.. no. 1 level Tablespoon of Granulated sweetener should count as half a syn.
I believe because you will not be consuming the entire bottle of sauce in one sitting there is no need to Syn this recipe.
However if you do wish to be precise and are very close to using your full Syn allowance per day you are welcome to allow half a syn per serving.
There are many sauces that can be created as Syn free as long as we are creative with our ingredients.
DON’T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE SO YOU DON’T MISS ANY OF MY RECIPES
Syn Free Tomato Ketchup
- 500 g Passata
- 2 tsp Onion Granules
- 1 tsp Garlic Granules
- 2 tsp Celery Salt
- 1 tsp Mustard Powder
- 1 tsp Ground White Pepper
- 2 tbsp Granulated Sweetener
- 80 ml Balsamic Vinegar
- 120 ml White Wine Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 0.5 tsp Paprika
- Small Pinch Salt
- Place all of the ingredients into a small sauce pan.
- Cover with a lid and allow to simmer on a medium to low heat for 20 – 25 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Allow to fully cool before placing into an air tight container.
- Store in the fridge for 1 – 2 weeks. Shake frequently to avoid separation.