Beautiful Tomato Ketchup, homemade, less sugar and Syn free when following the Slimming World plan.
One of the reasons Tomato Ketchup has to be synned is because of the super high sugar content. A 500g bottle of standard tomato ketchup can contain around 100g of sugar. Whereas a 500g carton of passata contains around 22g of sugar. This of course can still be considered as high but as you can see this is a huge reduction in sugar content and as most of you will know I am a strong believe in “sugar makes you fat”.
This Slimming World friendly Tomato Ketchup not only has a massive reduction in the sugar content, it is also Syn Free! Yes really!!!
How long will this sauce last?
Store in an air tight container, or try washing out an old ketchup bottle to store in the fridge. The sauce will last for upto 1 – 2 weeks. Shake regularly to prevent separation.
This contains Sweetener, should I Syn this sauce?
In my opinion… No.
1 level Tablespoon of Granulated sweetener should count as half a syn.
I believe because you will not be consuming the entire bottle of sauce in one sitting there is no need to Syn this recipe.
However if you do wish to be precise and are very close to using your full Syn allowance per day you are welcome to allow half a syn per serving.
Now that you have the sauce… I think you need something to serve this with. Try a few of our delicious recipes…
Don’t forget to tag me on social media if you create this recipe.
Syn Free Tomato Ketchup
- 500 g Passata
- 2 tsp Onion Granules
- 1 tsp Garlic Granules
- 2 tsp Celery Salt
- 1 tsp Mustard Powder
- 1 tsp Ground White Pepper
- 2 tbsp Granulated Sweetener
- 80 ml White Balsamic Vinegar
- 120 ml White Wine Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 0.5 tsp Paprika
- Small Pinch Salt
- Place all of the ingredients into a small sauce pan.
- Cover with a lid and allow to simmer on a medium to low heat for 20 – 25 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Allow to fully cool before placing into an air tight container.
- Store in the fridge for 1 – 2 weeks. Shake frequently to avoid separation.