Sweet and Sour vegetables is a delicious vegetarian dish which can be served with rice or noodles. Healthy, full of food that speeds up weight loss, only 85 calories per serving and perfect as part of a Chinese Fakeaway night. This unofficial recipe is perfect for any one following Slimming World, Weight Watchers or a calorie controlled diet.
I could eat Chinese food pretty much every day of the week and these Sweet and Sour Vegetables are no exception. This dish is full of flavour and so easy to make. You can customise with any of your favourite vegetables, trying a variety of colours, flavours and textures. Today I have picked Onion, Pepper and Green Beans. But it would work great with Carrot, Cauliflower, Broccoli, Baby Corn…
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS RECIPE….
- Easy to make
- Full of speedy vegetables
- Slimming World friendly
IS THIS RECIPE SUITABLE FOR BATCH COOKING/FREEZING?
Oh absolutely, allow to cool before placing in the freezer (up to 2 months) or in the fridge (up to 3 days). Reheat over the hob OR in the microwave with a few spoonfuls of water.
CREATING A CHINESE FAKEAWAY?
You 100% need some more recipes to throw together the perfect Chinese Fakeaway night! Check out some of my favourites below…
- Spicy Chicken Stir Fry
- Orange Chicken
- Mild Chicken Curry
- Beef in Black Bean Sauce
- Sweet and Sour Chicken
- Crispy Kale Seaweed
Sweet and Sour Vegetables
- 1 Large Onion [Peeled and roughly chopped]
- 2 Yellow Peppers [Deseeded and roughly chopped]
- 2 Red Peppers [Deseeded and roughly chopped]
- 10 Long Green Beans [Sliced into 3 sections]
- 2 Garlic Cloves [Crushed]
- ½ tsp Chilli Powder
- ½ tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 tsp Granulated Sweetener
- 4 tbsp Tomato Puree
- 250ml Vegetable Stock
- 2 tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- Pinch Salt
- In a large pan add onion, peppers, green beans, garlic, chilli and ginger. Pour over 100ml boiling water and a pinch of salt. Cover with a lid and allow to simmer for 5 minutes or until the vegetables have started to soften.
- Add 250ml boiling vegetable stock. Then stir in rice vinegar, sweetener, soy sauce and tomato puree. Cover with a lid and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid and continue to simmer over a medium heat, stiring often until the sauce thickens. Add more water if you feel the vegetables need to simmer for longer.