CHANA MASALA | HEALTHY SLIMMING RECIPE
Easy and simple Chana Masala using tinned chickpeas and then cooked with onion, tomatoes and spices. This popular Indian dish is low in fat and calories. It is the perfect vegetarian and gluten-free dish which pairs well with boiled rice or naan bread. This unofficial recipe is perfect for any one following Slimming World, Weight Watchers or a calorie controlled diet.
Chana Masala is one of the most popular vegetarian Indian dishes made using chickpeas and it is absolutely delicious. This is one of my favourite Indian recipes to make at home when I want something low fat, filling and full of flavour. This recipe is so quick and easy to make, it comes together in around 30 minutes and I bet you already have most of the ingredients in your kitchen cupboards already. Just don’t forget to serve with my delicious Naan Bread.
WHY IS THIS THE BEST CHANA MASALA RECIPE?
- Low in fat
- Gluten Free
- Syn Free*
- Quick and easy to make
- Full of protein
IS THIS RECIPE SUITABLE FOR FREEZING?
Absolutely… it is perfect for freezing.
Allow to cool first before storing in the fridge for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months. Defrost before reheating in the microwave or on the hob.
Craving more Indian recipes? I’m working on my expanding my collection, but here are a few recipes that are inspired by Indian cuisine.
Don’t miss out on any of my recipes, Sign up to emails below.
- 400g Tinned Chickpeas [Drained]
- 400g Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 Large Onion [Peeled and Roughly Chopped]
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 tsp Ground Ginger
- 2 Green Chillies [Roughly Chopped]
- ½ tsp Ground Cumin
- ½ tsp Turmeric
- ½ tsp Garam Masala
- 2 tsp Lemon juice
- Add 200ml of salted water to a pan and bring to the boil. Add the drained chickpeas and simmer for 1 minute. Turn off the heat, set aside and allow the chickpeas to soak in the water.
- Add the onion, garlic, chillies, and ginger to a food processor. Blitz to a paste and then pop in to a pan over a medium heat. Add a few splashes of the infused water and simmer for a minute. Stir in all of the spices and simmer for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, lemon juice, water and chickpeas to the pan. Cover with a lid and simmer for 10 – 15 minutes until most of the liquid is reduced. Remove the lid for the last 5 minutes. Serve with your choice of side.